Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Developing Good Habits

I have had this subject on my mind for weeks. Thoughts come so clearly to me when I'm running, however, they slow down or fade as I enter the house.

Habits are funny. It feels like it takes forever to develop a good one and only a moment to develop a bad one. This is the definition of what I am talking about.

A habit is an automatic pattern of behavior in reaction to a specific situation; may be inherited or acquired through frequent repetition.

Not exercising is a bad habit. Exercising is a good habit.
Eating without thinking is a bad habit. Eating for fuel with intention is a good habit.

Our bodies were meant to move. You don't have to run to exercise. But you have to do something. You would have to do massive amounts of exercise to change your weight without changing your eating habits.

We habitually eat too much. Before I began this journey, I would eat until I was beyond full; at just about every meal. I would eat when I wasn't even hungry. Bad habit.

My dad is a great example. He has been playing tennis for 20 years. So, he was in pretty good shape. His nightly habit was to watch TV while eating popcorn and drinking a Pepsi. He would top it off with ice cream. Every single night. Several months ago he started working with a trainer and attending boot camps as well as running. His body started to change. However, when he gave up ice cream and Pepsi he became a different person. He took off 20 pounds and completely changed the way he looked. He is buff and has incredible abs. He is 66 years old.

It starts now. What habit can you change this very minute? For me, every day, every meal is a chance to change years of bad habits. Good habits bring happiness.

Pass it on.

No comments: